Monday, March 23, 2009

A little about John, and then some about Twilight...

So, John has been gone for 3 whole weeks. The first 2 weeks it felt like it was whipping on by (man how time flies!...), but now its starting to feel like its been forever. At least on my end. John is doing well in his classes though. He's definitely in the top half of his class, if not the top half of the top half. He's trying super hard so he can have his pick of base assignments when its time. I'm proud of him for putting so much energy into doing well while he's there. He's also on a lose weight mission there too. He feels a strong urge to lose all the "happy weight" he's put on since we got married (if he doesn't he won't make rank at the end of school lol). The only things we seem to talk about are what he's eating, how much time he spent in the gym that day, and how much he has been studying. it makes me feel like a slacker some times... But still, he's passing all his tests, and training really well, and he says to say "Hi" to everyone. I told him i was going to write that in there for you all and he was surprised that we have a real blog. I told him back when i created it that we had it, but for some reason he thought i had started it and wasn't doing anything with it. I'm not as good at it as some people, but i am doing better then others.

So, i'm sure you all know that Twilight came out on DVD last weekend. John and i got to be among the small amount of masses that watched it for the first time where the books/movies supposedly take place. Jealous right? i will tell you right now though, the Port Angeles depicted is not what its like here in real life. i'm not even sure there is a "bad" part of town. I know some of you may have been worried about me being here all alone like john's mom was after she saw the movie, but it's really not like that here. There is a shady townhouse complex that's a bit of an eye sore in my opinion that i don't plan to walk around in the dark any time soon, but every town has that kind of place. The crime rate here is nothing of note. i think there is more suicide then anything (considering there's rain and overcast 9-10 months of the year i can see how that is possible).
So, i didn't even know it was a trend at the time when i read the books. The first time i saw the book was at John's parents house over a year ago. I found his sister Sarah in every room of the house with her eyes glued to it like a zombie. She said it was about Vampires but i didn't give it much thought after that cuz i assumed it was just one of the regular young adult book i don't read any more. Then a few months later i was hanging out with my bed ridden friend Rachel at the time who had just had a huge tumor taken off of her liver. her sister had sent a care package to give her things to do while she was stuck in bed all day. I flipped through the first few pages and read a little, but i wasn't sucked in right away so i didn't think too much about it again. Then john and i found out we were moving to Port Angeles last July. I had no idea where it was, i had never heard of it, and i had to pull a map out to find it. When i told Rachel that was where we were moving, she actually knew where i was talking about. She said that was where parts of Twilight take place. So, i asked her if the books were any good and she said they were. So that got me thinking about them finally. When john and i got married, after the honeymoon i had to go back to Preston for a month while he was in Seattle on the boat until we were stationed to the base here. I was walking around the airport all by myself and saw the book on a stand at Borders there, so i figured "sure. why not?". I purchased the book and went to sit by my gate. That night i finished 1/3 of the book. i was hooked. i would have read more if i hadn't gotten lost leaving the Salt Lake airport. yes, i know. who gets lost in Salt Lake? Me. i wasn't paying attention to the signs and ended up on the belt loop headed south instead of north for about an hour. It took me 2x's as long as it should have to get home. Oh well though. My fam was out of town for a few days so when i got home i had free time. I set up a box for the cat to have her kittens because i noticed she was following me from room to room with a look in her eye looking for a good place to do her business. So, while i did my best to keep her out of my lap during her little miracle of life (yuck!), i kept her company and finished the book that day. It took me a total of 2 weeks to read all the books because i had to wait a few days for the last book to come out. I sat around the house glued to them like sarah had done. i just had to know what was going to happen. They're easy reading, but they're entertaining.
When the movie came out john reluctantly came with me. But i kind of think he liked the movie more then i did, and more then he'll admit to as well. Every day for months, if it was rainy or overcast he would say it was a good day for vampires to be out lol. it was cute i thought. I know the movie will never be his favorite and will probably only watch it to humor me if i chose to watch when he's around, but i'm ok with it if he doesn't. i wasn't thrilled with the movie, but it wasn't the worst one i'd seen either. i'm only ok with it though. I hate the actor that plays bella for one thing. I can imagine her looking like that and maybe with edwards character too, but the girl has a stick up her butt in my opinion. She always has this disgusted look on her face like she's annoyed to be there when people talk to her, even in other movies and interviews i've seen her do. But it was all bad acting, and it didn't follow the book as well as it should have.
If you like a book enough, the movie is always a let down. But, we get over it most of the time. Like for Harry Potter. The books were great, the movies are great, but the movies don't have everything that the books have. My mom says the Star Wars movies are better then the books though. The best thing to do is to never read the book within 4 months of watching the movie for the 1st time i've decided. I made the mistake of reading the book within the week of watching the movie for a few different titles. But i can watch those movies now and not be so harsh as i was the 1st time, and sometimes even end up liking the movie a lot. Last week i started reading Twilight again...it was a mistake though. in my defense, i ran out of books that i haven't read in the last 5 months, so i figured i would give it a whirl again. I read it in 3 days and then made the mistake to go buy the movie and watch it. I hated the movie more this time. Dang it. but oh well i guess. The reason i buy movies any more is to make sure i have them for any future kids we have....that'll be my excuse for that one at least lol. Maybe later i'll watch it again and decide i can stand it.
So, last night i finished the 2nd book, New Moon...i had forgotten how boring that one was. i almost skipped it all together when i realized it, but since its easy reading i just decided to get it over with. Now on to book 3 again...

No comments: