Friday, May 8, 2009

What to do, what to do...

I'm feeling....inspired. But my problem is that i don't know which way to direct that inspiration. It needs to be something creative and artistic that i haven't done before. i have 3 projects i want to do actually, but i don't know which way to go yet...

#1 is refinishing my coffee table. Its real wood, kind of country looking (though not the direction i want to go with my decorating). It looks good with the plaid couch set though. Yes i said plaid. My step-mom has a weird thing for plaid. She gave it too me when they moved to Southern Idaho. I was just grateful to have anything. But i don't plan to be keeping this set for forever. This is just my starter furniture. But I found this thing (the coffee table) by the side of the road next to someones house with a sign on it saying "FREE". Its in pretty good shape except for some cup rings and it looks like a child drew in a few spots with a pen, but its not deep and it can be fixed with some sanding. So, if i sand it all down, i want to refinish it to go with the TV stand we have. Its a chestnut dark dark brown, and i also have a bookshelf that matches. So, i want this coffee table to match, and i think i can do it myself.

#2 has to do with cake decorating. i know, refinishing a coffee table...cake decorating. Two different things. But my interests are broad. I guess I have done this one before, but i don't have a lot of experience. I don't know when or for who i would make a cake for, but there is an artistic outlet in cake decorating, and i got a taste of it when i did my brothers wedding cake, and then my own. His was frosted red velvet with little rose buds on it that i made, and it tasted great. Their colors were red and white if you couldn't tell. John and I's was red velvet for the top and then lemon and mint cup cakes all with a marshmallow fondant (which tastes much better then regular fondant). I made everything all by myself for our cake: the 3 tier stand, the cup cakes, frosting, cake, fondant, and the monogram cake topper. It still amazes me that i was able to throw the whole wedding together with 2 weeks warning! Goes to show what military life is like. A lot of hurry up and wait and unpredictability.

So back to what i was saying. I've had a little taste of cake decorating, but I think the reason i'm so obsessed with doing cakes now is because i've been watching Ace Of Cakes on the Food Network. If you ever get the chance to check it out, do. It looks so much fun. They make great cakes that you can't even imagine being actual cakes. They show this cake they made that is this 3 tiered robins egg blue cake with chocolate fondant on top and cut outs in it so you could see the blue under it. I love it. I've been planning how to do it in my head trying to figure it out. They had a picture of it on their site last week, but it looks like they've changed the site recently so its gone now :( oh well i guess. So, for my friends and family, i am willing to do cakes. I'll be practicing and i'll get better, so give me a call if you need help ;) i'm not a pro, but i'm willing to try anything.

and...

#3 I want to learn how to Solder. This is something i've been wanting to do for a long time. My Grandpa made a bronze sculpture for my parents as a wedding gift, and i grew up with it in my home. I love it, and i want to make my own. For some reason i don't think i have much hope that i'll get it when my dad dies (which i never want to happen!) because my step-mom's family lives forever and will probably outlive everyone. But, I want my kids to have one in their home, and maybe if i make it well enough, i might be able to sell them one day. It's one of my ambitions in life, to do something artistic, from home, that i can share with people. I know, soldering isn't THAT hard, but it's something i haven't gotten to learn or try yet. Once i do, we'll see how much i want to do it still... but i hope it really is as great as i hope.

Ok, so i'll keep you updated about when i get into these things. i can't keep putting them off forever. Especially the coffee table. Wish me luck! And if you have any pointers, let me know!

1 comment:

Jen, Jenny, Jennifer said...

I resurfaced a table over my Spring Break last year and it turned out okay. If anything it was a great experience and I'll do better next time! I've grounded myself from Facebook because I haven't graded papers, but it's a yes for the amusement park thing from us. Do you have my cell phone number so we can talk to arrange details?