Monday, June 28, 2010

Garage Sale Finds of the Summer

Last week on Saturday was a great day, and we were both home (amazingly husband didn't have to work) so i suggested we hit the garage sales for something fun to do. And, shock of all shocks, he agreed without me having to twist his arm. He wanted to go get a paper and see where any were, but i figured all we had to do would be to drive around and we'd find a few. He didn't believe me so i looked up a few online to make him feel better, but in the end we only got to one of the places on the list because there were tons of signs all up and down the neighborhood. I ended up finding a bed frame for cheep, and we had fun going through strangers crazy stuff. Our find of the day, besides the bed frame?





Yes, Titanic The Board Game. We didn't know if we should be disturbed or if we should think it was funny. The object of the game:

"Gossip with other passengers, receive telegrams and collect all five pieces of your personal property to advance from the Second Class to the First Class section of the ship. But watch out, you might get put back in steerage or, worse yet, never make it to your lifeboat in time..."

Who knew there was such a thing? It really was so outrageous, we had to buy it. It was $1 we still don't regret spending. Its missing a few pieces, but i've found a site online to buy them, so i'm not too worried about it.
Other then that, things are going. I've been putting off doing the decorating of our house for after the beach vacation so we could save money, but now that its over i can start doing the things i've been planning. Things like curtains, artwork on the walls, table runners and candle holders, accessories and decorations, that padded headboard i've been wanting to do for forever, and the extra bedroom.
I've been on the hunt for a bed frame for our extra queen size bed, and i'm so glad i've finally found one. When we got our new mattress set for our bed to replace the one i had before we got married, we were short on bed frames. So we had an extra bedroom with a mattress sitting on the floor, and it might be just me, but I'm not a fan of offering guests we have over to sleep on a mattress on the floor. i just feel guilty doing it. We have 2 different sets of guest coming to stay this week, so that's my immediate stress for the week, getting that room put together (for the most part) so everyone is comfortable.
But that leaves the one full size mattress, minus its box-spring, sitting on the floor in the other extra bedroom...i don't have any idea what to do with that one. I want to make it usable and presentable without spending hundreds of dollars, so i'm going to put this out there: any suggestions??? i'm open to suggestions. I know i won't be able to do it this week, but eventually.
And then for my room, i plan on finally doing the padded headboard. Yea! I've picked out the material, and Husband has approved, so its going to happen soon. I'm just going through tutorials and pictures online to figure out which way i'm going to do it.
Other then that, Husband and i have been going to movies when we can. I love summer movie season, there are more movies to see then we have time for. I took Husband out for his first taste of Greek food last week. He said it was better then he thought it would be. Seriously. I'm a huge fan of Greek food (i blame the White House Grill if Post Falls for getting me hooked, and great mom's like my friend Rachel's for making such great food all the time), so if he likes it i can have it more often here. Victory for me for that one.
So yeah, basically staying happy still, staying busy, having fun with husband when i can, and trying to stay cool in the Cali heat. Not too much to complain about really :)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I miss you friend! I would help make that headboard with you if you were here.