Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Either I'm Spoiled Or Guys Are Jerks

Last night i magically talked husband into going Christmas shopping with me. I couldn't believe it when he said yes. I had put the food in the slow cooker so i knew we wouldn't have to go out for dinner, and it wouldn't be a late meal we would have to wait for when we got home, and we were on our way. We had to get gifts for each other, which is hard when your shopping together, but i was able to hide things at the stores in the mall from him without any problem, but husband can't keep a secret for anything so i know pretty much everything he's getting for me for Christmas. Does that take the fun out of it for me? .....a little, but not really. I made a list for him so it wouldn't be so hard (i'm a hard person to shop for, i admit it), and he followed it fairly well. Basically he spoils me, and i try to do my very best to NOT exploit that. It doesn't matter what part of the year it is, when we're out shopping and looking at things i say i want (one day. in my dreams. if it wasn't so expensive), he'll roll his eyes some times and ask which one i want then pick it up to go pay for it. I have to pry it out of his hands and make sure he knows that i know its too expensive for now and i'm totally willing to wait on it (I would rather get more out of debt first). But on the occasion, i do let him spoil me, and i love him for it. I've never had a guy so willing to spoil me like he does.
So yeah, we had the few gifts we wanted to pick up from the various stores, and there were various bags for all of this. I automatically grabbed the bags and didn't think anything of it. They needed to be carried, i had one hand holding husbands and the other hand was free, so why shouldn't i carry them? When husband offered continually to carry them for me....i said No.
*Gasp*
i know. i feel like a bad person now.
it wasn't until we were walking out to the car and i had opened the mall doors for myself and husband scolded me for not letting him be a good husband by opening them for me that i realized why he had offered so many times to carry the bags. In movies the husband is always following the wife around to the different stores while she shops and he carries all the bags for her. That's what he was trying to do for me. Isn't that sweet?? And i deprived him of that! He then promptly took the bags from me, had me put my arm in his, led me to the car, and even managed to open my door for me after putting everything in the trunk.
I did some thinking about this on our drive home. Why didn't i think to let him carry the bags until the end? Yes, i've always been independent and it didn't cross my mind or bother me to carry them, but isn't that one of the perks of having a man around? Then i figured it out. I've never had a guy offer to carry my bags, let alone really go shopping with me. All the guys i dated before husband were Jerks with a capital J. I always ignored it when i was dating them, but after breaking up i would look back and realize how selfish they were. There were a few ok ones in there, but i'm so happy i held out and waited for husband. He's the best i could ever ask for. I'll be the first to admit it.
So, Husband, I love you. Thank you for being such a great husband and reminding me how great it is to have a real man.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

1 comment:

nicwoo said...

Awww sweet. I hope you learned your lesson ;) You are such a great couple!